The Platinum Advantage: Secure Testing 18,000 Secure Tests Delivered and Counting
In March 2015, we decided to offer our customers the opportunity for advanced security testing. Our development team installed Platinum Secure Testing by Respondus Lockdown Browser for EMSTesting.com. Since then the feature has allowed teachers around the globe the ability to deliver high stakes exams in an environment that “locks down” the test takers computer and forces exam takers to turn off certain programs that may give them an improper advantage. When the option is utilized the test takers are unable to do things like copy/paste, take screen captures or use the print screen option reducing the likelihood of mischievous behavior.
Below are other restrictions that are available with the click of a single button:
- Right-click options are unavailable.
- Function keys are turned off.
- Tests are delivered in full-screen mode and cannot be minimized.
- Web address URL’s cannot be typed by test takers during testing.
- Messaging, screen-sharing program, and network applications are blocked.
- Browser menus, searching and toolbar options disabled.
Educator recommendations for successful use:
- Begin installation of the computer lab edition for academic testing center use ASAP.
- Recognize in advance the program will only run on Windows or Mac computers and IPads with updated browsers. Secure tests will not function on mobile phones, chrome books, Kindle devices and other tablets.
- We strongly recommend test driving the tool on a few low stakes exam to make sure it works for all of your students wherever and whenever they may take test.
- Avoid additional security measures (time limits, login restrictions) whenever possible to allow our customer support options during help requests to our team.
- Have a contingency plan for when students have the unexpected happen or can not take or finish their exam for an unexplained reason at the last minute. No surprise here but it does happen.
Platinum Secure Testing is just one of the many additional options not offered by others. However, it is not a fit for all programs. If you are interested in learning more about it, or would like to know if it is a good fit for your program, please feel free to reach out to us. We are more than happy to assist! Just give us a call at 616.818.7877 or click the request help button from your home page in EMSTesting.com anytime.
Windows: 10, 8, 7, Vista
Mac: OS X 10.7 or higher
iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only)
Windows: 2 GB RAM
Mac: 512 MB RAM
Mac Users: The Safari browser must be configured to the minimum requirements for Platinum Secure Testing to being used (it does NOT have to be the default browser for the computer).